Monday, March 22, 2010

Doctor Visits Can Be Entertaining

The previous post, this post and the next one are quite wordy, so I am throwing in a few random pictures of the boys just for fun. Good luck with all of the reading.

Anton and Zackary with their firemen hats they got from Grandma Nielsen. Zackary insists on wearing it backwards. I imagine that he thinks it is like a baseball hat with the brim in front. Anton gets frustrated with him because he won't wear it the right way. That is probably the second reason that Zackary wears it backwards, just to annoy his older brother.



One day Anton climbed clear to the back of his closet to get out these costumes. The boys spent the afternoon running around in them. What a cute little puppy and cow.



The boys love to play with the couch cushions. They are off the couch at least three times a day, most days. They love jumping on the couch without the cushions on or making beds with the cushions on the floor and so many other things. Somedays I long for a couch with cushions on it for more comfortable seating, but they have so much fun that it is worth it. Also, notice how Anton has perfected the, "Yes, I am listening and already know, Mom!" look. He is only four (almost).



My last few visits to the doctor have had some very interesting conversations. For one of them I couldn’t find a babysitter. I tried about six different people and finally just took the boys with me by myself for the first time. The visits after that I realized that they were actually quite well behaved, so they came with me, also.
As all women that have been pregnant know, you always have to give a sample when you go to a doctor visit as a pregnant lady. Well, rather than leave Anton and Zackary in the exam room where they can get into who knows what I felt that it would be safer to take them into the bathroom with me. The first time this is how the conversation went:

Anton: Mommy, you don’t have a -------.
Me: No, Anton I don’t.
A: Why not? Daddy has one and I have one and Zackary has one?
Me: Well, I am a mommy and mommies don’t have them.
A: Okay.

The conversation continued on like this for about another five minutes. Luckily, Anton had decided to move onto a different topic before the doctor came in. That would have been even more interesting, especially for an OB/GYN. Ha. Ha.

One week later: My second visit with the boys. As soon as we get out of the car Anton declares that he needs to use the bathroom. So I go in and immediately ask the receptionist if we can use a bathroom. She directs us to one. Anton proceeds to use the bathroom when he asks if he can pee in a cup remembering what went on the week before. So I have to explain that it is just for Mommy to do and only when the doctor asks me. It is a good thing he accepted my answer because he is still working on his aim at the toilet and that is a lot bigger than a cup.

My last visit and one week after the previous visit: Again, the situation is that I don’t dare leave the boys in the exam room while I use the bathroom. It wouldn’t have mattered anyway because Anton had already determined what he wanted. So all three of us go into the tiny bathroom, again. Anton proceeds to ask me if I am going to pee in a cup again. I tell him that yes I am because the doctor needs me to. He then asks for a cup of water. Soon, both of the boys have had a drink of water. I am dumping the excess water out in the sink in the bathroom as I hear the exam room door open from the hallway just as Anton quite loudly states. “Mommy, we don’t drink pee.” I immediately hear the door shut and check so see if it was Anton or Zackary opening the door to escape. Nope. They were patiently sitting in the chair together. My guess is that Marilyn, the nurse had a really good laugh when she was checking to see if I was ready for the doctor to come in. The not drinking pee conversation of course was not finished. It was a few minutes later before Anton was done with that conversation. Luckily we were onto a much safer topic by the time the doctor came in. We were singing Jesus Wants me for a Sunbeam. I am also glad that it was my last visit until my 6-week follow-up.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Rachel, you should have called me to watch the boys. I am sure that at least one of the times I could have taken them. But nevertheless, those conversations are hilarious!! Anton is hysterical!