The Sunday before Christmas Isabel had a pretty good cough, no other symptoms (other than puking from coughing so hard, twice, the first during Sacrament meeting, that was FUN). That night Zackary seemed a little bit feverish, but nothing big. He was running around like himself. The next day Isabel's cough was much better and Zackary seemed to be doing just fine, other than a cough like Isabel's. All three kids were running around about like normal. Tuesday was about the same. We opted to stay home on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and not run any errands (i.e., finish Christmas shopping) so that the kids would be in their best health for Christmas.
On Wednesday, Zackary seemed to be feeling worse. His slight fever that he had for a couple of days spiked, but then it broke that evening just when I was thinking I needed to take him to the doctor. Thursday morning Zackary was running around like he always is, very happy-go-lucky. He seemed to be all better, so we decided to keep our schedule that day. Go to Shelley to visit Aunt Leonora, Unlce Kevin and Katelynn, newly arrived from Colorado. I made him sit still as much as I could and take it easy, but he seemed to be fine. Late afternoon he started not feeling very well. We got home to make dinner and Zackary sacked out on the couch as soon as we walked in the door. About 6:30 PM his fever shot up, so we called the doctor, he just wasn't himself.
Luckily our Pediatrician's office was able to see him in half-an-hour. We spent a good amount of time at the office while they listened to his lungs for a VERY long time, SEVERAL TIMES, monitored his oxygen levels, etc. His fever was 103. They finally decided to give him a breathing treatment, and a shot of antibiotics and send us home for the night. Giving us very specific instructions of what to watch for with his breathing, and setting an appointment for in the morning we were on our way home after about an hour at the doctor's office being told that Zackary might have pneumonia.
The next morning (Friday) he didn't have a fever and he seemed to be feeling a little better. Still not himself, but a little better. So, I packed the kids up and we headed over to the doctor's office again so they could listen to his lungs and check his oxygen levels. Grandma Nielsen joined us to help with Anton and Isabel. The doctor listened to his lungs and checked his oxygen levels again. He said that while Zackary seemed to be looking a little perkier than the night before his oxygen levels and the sound of his lungs were worse, warranting a stay at the hospital.
Grandma dropped Zackary and I off at the hospital and headed back to our place with Anton and Isabel. I attempted to get a hold of Linden, but because he was at work I was only able to text him, so he didn't know Zackary was in the hospital until that afternoon when he got off work. Thanks to Grandma Nielsen, Alex and Jenna for watching Anton and Isabel. Linden came straight to the hospital that evening and we had a few different visitors, also. I stayed at the hospital with Zackary that night and because Linden had to work early the next morning (Saturday, Christmas Eve) Grandma Nielsen dropped the kids off to stay with Grandpa and Grandma Butler that night.
Zackary tolerated very well getting the IV, getting his blood drawn, the chest X-ray, and having to wear the oxygen sensor. He didn't like any of them. He hadn't been eating or drinking very much all week, so we were told he couldn't go home until he was drinking again, and also after we figured out for sure what he had and his oxygen sats. were looking better.
The "leashes" were what Zackary liked least about being in the hospital. He was afraid to use the bathroom because he didn't know quite what to do with his leashes. He was afraid that he couldn't use the bathroom. After about an hour of him doing the potty dance we finally convinced him that he could use the bathroom, despite the cords. It worked and he was much more comfortable.
For about the first six hours of being in the hospital Zackary seemed very lethargic, just wanted Mom to hold him, not even Dad was good enough. He didn't want to lay on the bed, even if Mom was there with him. I'm sure that's because that is where he was when they started the IV and drew the blood. So, I sat, cradling him in the chair for about six hours.
I left to go home and pack up a few things after Linden got there. When I got back Zackary was smiling and seemed to be doing much better. Still not 100%, but much better. His oxygen levels were still low despite several nebulizer treatments and sessions of CPT. He wouldn't eat dinner or drink anything, still.
He was admitted to the hospital as a possible pneumonia, that morning. So they started him on IV and oral antibiotics and told us depending on the x-ray results he might get steriods, also. The results of the chest x-ray came back as (forgive any incorrect spelling, please) Perry-Hiler Pneumonitis. The nurses all told us that he probably had asthma after that diagnosis. We wouldn't be hearing from the doctor for sure until later in the next morning the next day, so I called Dr. Edwin, my brother. He said Perry-Hiler Pneumonitis is a very non-specific term for "your lungs look fluffy in the Hiler region," the Hiler region being a specific part of the lung and it could be anything from a virus to many different things. Our doctor the next morning said about the same thing. Most likely he had a viral infection, especially since he hasn't really had any previous asthma symptoms, although there could possibly, maybe, be some underlying asthma issues. While Zackary was at the hospital he got the two antibiotics and after the reading from the radiologist came back they gave him a dose of steriods.
After I got back from packing for an over-night stay, Zackary was much perkier and continued to improve throughout the night. He was indesperate need of sleep. He hadn't gotten any all day, which is about par for hospitals. After all of the CPT, nebulizer treatments, night medications and vital checks we finally got him settled for bed about 10 PM. From 10 to 11 PM the alarm on his oxygen sensor kept going off because his levels were to low, partly due to him sleeping. After an hour of them going off every few minutes, the nurse re-positioned the sensor and no more alarm. YEAH. Zackary and I could finally get some sleep. At least inbetween the CPT, nebulizer treatments, vital checks, etc. We were woken up about every one and a half hours for those.
The following morning we got a call from Linden about 6:30, when he was getting to work, scheduled to work all day. He called to see how Zackary had done during the night. The call woke Zackary up and he was quite agitated, saying he wanted to go home and trying to pull out the IV and get rid of the oxygen sensor. Then his nose started bleeding quite profusely. Then he started coughing up blood clots about the size of a quarter. I pushed the call button, one nurse came, then two, we were finally able to get Zackary calmed down and get the bleeding stopped. Right about then I started not feeling too spiffy, i.e. I better lay down before I pass out. (This is the very reason I chose to not have a medical profession.) About twenty minutes later, Linden called and said they had let him leave work. YEAH!
We got Zackary and I cleaned up and got the sheets all changed from the drama first thing in the morning. Then breakfast came. Zackary ate and drank. His oxygen looked good. The nurses seemed to think that we would be able to go home, we were just waiting for the doctor to say it. Zackary was still hesitant to use the bathroom and had to be talked into going after a while of doing the potty dance.
We knew for sure that Zackary was doing better because the day before the nurses had asked him about picking out a gift from under the Christmas tree and he wanted ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with anything that didn't involve me holding him while I sat in the chair. That morning when asked, he was excited to pick out a gift. We told him he couldn't go pick one until he had drunk more. Bribery works.
Christmas Eve morning, before breakfast. We finally got to see his cute smile again.
Zackary in his hospital bed, it didn't seem so awful the next day. He ate the donut, but not much else they brought him for breakfast.
With his gift he picked out trying to figure out how to open it with one hand, due to the IV.
Thanks for the help, Dad.
Yeah, a new football.
We are very grateful for the wonderful care that he received from the Pediatric Center, and the nurses, respiratory therapists, and staff at EIRMC. They weren't rushing to get us out the door at the doctors office and the hospital staff was wonderful, despite the fact that it was the Holidays and they were working. We also enjoyed the carolers that came by on Friday night and brought Zackary a cute little fire engine. It was great.
We went straight home with Zackary home on Christmas Eve. Linden insisted that because Anton and Isabel hadn't seen me for about two days that I go to his family Christmas Party with them while he stayed home with Zackary.
Zackary was SUPER excited to be home. While I was driving him home he asked me if he was going home and if "he could not go back to the hospital for FOREVER?" I told him that we were going home and I hope he didn't need to be back in the hospital for forever.
I am very grateful for Priesthood blessings and prayers being answered. I am also very grateful that we didn't end up having Zackary in the hospital on Christmas.
1 comment:
Well no wonder you never called back that week! Sorry you had to deal with that. So glad it wasn't longer in the hospital or worse. Hope the other kiddos are staying well. Thanks for the update.
Post a Comment