On Saturday we inherited two children. Temporarily.?. We are thrilled to welcome Devin and Tyanna into our home. Linden's sister is currently unable to care for them, so we have them for a while. We were able to put a twin bed into the kids room and with a little arranging there is still room for the kids to play!! Thank goodness that this room is SO MUCH BIGGER than their old room. We have two dressers, a full bed, a twin bed, a crib, and a toy box in there. The three boys sleep in the full bed, Tyanna gets the twin and of course Isabel is in the crib (toddler bed). Now if we could just actually get them to SLEEP!! Devin and Tyanna aren't quite used to a regular bed time, so the last few nights have consisted of all five kids getting into bed at 8:00 pm, Anton, Zackary and Isabel's normal bedtime, and then lots of playing, giggling, talking, bathroom trips, water trips, and "Mom (Aunt Rachel) so and so is pushing me, pulling the covers, etc." until 10:30 PM when everyone finally settles down and falls asleep. They have been instructed that there is only one bathroom trip per child per night. And that they aren't to get out of bed unless they are bleeding or the house is on fire. I even stay in the room sitting in the dark, encouraging less playing which helps. Hopefully in a few more nights they will be more settled and more used to all being together.
A challenge of welcoming two more children into our home includes transportation troubles. Our car only seats three children. Hmmm, our three plus two more is FIVE!! I didn't know how I was going to get them to school and home again while Linden is at work. Thank goodness for a wonderful Relief Society President that asked for volunteers at church and then made several calls until she found someone to watch the three youngest kids in the morning for me while I took the other two to school. I was extremely anxious to have someone I had never met watch my kids, but she was a wonderful lady. Another amazing and generous lady in our ward let us borrow her van so I could get the kids picked up on Monday. By Tuesday the School had declared Devin and Tyanna as transitional, i.e. homeless, so that they could arrange bus transportation for them so that issue is solved, THANK YOU!!
The kids love playing together. Our biggest challenge is trying to get them to focus on homework after school and helping Tyanna catch up with her work. I am also amazed at how much they eat. On Sunday Tyanna had SEVEN, yes seven plates of food. Devin wasn't far behind that. Tyanna is seven years old (officially tomorrow) and Devin is eight. They are really good kids and have even been good examples for Anton and Zackary at getting their pajamas on the FIRST time they are asked.
We have had some great moments of peace and comfort as we read books together and sing songs together. How wonderful it is to have Devin and Tyanna with us! They miss their Mom, but seem to be truly enjoying our home. Last night as we were reading scriptures Zackary watched Devin, Tyanna and Anton each read by themselves and when it was his turn to "read" (repeat the words we read to him) he asked me to show him how to read!! Our little boy that normally onlys sits still long enough to tell me about four letters wants to learn to read!!
I'll get a picture of the kids posted after school. It has been a little hectic around here the last few days and I haven't even thought of getting a picture until now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh my goodness! What a sudden but wonderful (if not crazy as well) change for your family! I will keep my ears open for anyone selling a minivan (or has an old one to permanently donate) so that maybe you can at least be able to leave the house once in a while when you ahve all the kids.
Oh, RACHEL!!! WOW! I saw you standing out waiting for the bus on my way to Winco yesterday...I don't think you saw me. LOL!
You are a saint...and I've always known you to have a generous heart...so you taking this on doesn't surprise me.
Love you!!! You're a wonderful example to me!!! ♥♥♥
You are already such an amazing person to go help my dad out and now you are adding more to your schedule. You have such a sweet heart to do all that you do. I can't imagine suddenly having two more children to take care of. Good luck in your new adventure!
wow! what can i do to help you? you are one amazing soul! those kids are so lucky to have you to love and teach them!
Post a Comment