Monday, August 22, 2011

A New Journey

My baby boy started a new journey this week and he LOVED it. Kindergarten.  (It is hard to believe that he is five already, I remember it like just yesterday when I got to hold him for the first time.)

We have been counting down the days until school started for a long time. We went to the kindergarten open house and he met his teacher and some of his classmates.  We went to registration and he was pretty excited to see his classroom. And  on Thursday he was thrilled to actually have the first day of school arrive.

We put him on the bus.  I was quite relieved to see that his bus driver is his cousin's grandpa.  How fun!!  And then I followed the bus to make sure that he made it to school safely.  He was just fine.  On our way home from the school Zackary, who has been feeling quite left behind with Anton going to school and not him, informed me that we needed to measure him when we got home because he was bigger.  Measure him we did.  He wouldn't let me forget.

Our little kindergartener.


Anton thoroughly enjoyed his first day of kindergarten and had so MANY things to tell me about when he got home.  He showed me his little Humpty Dumpty and the wall he made, he told me about the playground and his classroom, his teacher, how a girl sat in his seat so he had to sit somewhere else, and also about their snack, and "but, Mom, there was not prayer before the snack."  I then proceeded to explain that we can't say prayers out loud in school, but that he can say them in his heart.

Anton, with another cheesy grin and proudly showing off his backpack, as we wait to go outside to catch the bus.


Another observation that Anton made was, "there was nothing to buckle me in, Mom."  I guess we have him trained pretty well.  Both grandmas called to find out how the first day went and they got told all about his first day of school.  Also, when he was talking to one of his aunts he told her that there was a boy that had hit him twice, once with his hand and again with his forehead, but that Mrs. Hayes, his teacher, had told him to stop.  Needless to say that after he got off the phone I asked Anton more about what happened.  He told me that he didn't hit anyone but it was just the boy that hit him.  It sounds to me like Anton didn't do anything to provoke the hitting or respond incorrectly.  I was glad to hear that, I just hope that Anton doesn't get picked on.

It was a lot harder to watch my baby boy get on that bus than I thought it would be.  I felt like I was sending him out to the wolves.  Linden and I just need to do our best to help prepare him and teach him correct principles and then watch him learn to handle the challenges the world throws at him.  How grateful I am for the gospel that gives us a great foundation and an eternal perspective as we strive to raise righteous children.

Our three wonderful little ones.  Yes, Zackary and Isabel got to go with me in their pajamas as we followed Anton to school.

3 comments:

Sara Birch said...

It is so hard to send them off to school! Carson starts first grade tomorrow and I am really wishing that we would have held him back a year because he is the youngest in his class. Hopefully it is a great expereince for your little guy!

Brina said...

for some reason i thought his first day was tomorrow! sad i was going to call...guess i will have to call hime a little late

Leonora Butler said...

Anton sure looks excited! Katelynn won't be going to school for awhile yet, but i bet it will go by so fast. It already has gone by so fast. Love you all!